Volunteers are needed to help with classes. EarthBox® Gardening is fun and easy, and no heavy lifting or experience is required. To volunteer, contact Sally Marshall, Executive Director of KC’s Kamp for Kids at (727) 560-7764.
Special Gardening Days
A number of special days in the garden are planned:
- Nov 13-14: Salad-making class
- Nov 16: 9:00-2:30, Great American Teach In at Woodlawn Elementary School (K-5) in garden
- Nov 23: Parent Garden Tour & 1st harvest for the kids to take food home for Thanksgiving
- Dec 5, 3:30-5:30: Garden Tour and Farmer's Market. The kids will harvest and sell the produce that they grew in their own gardens! Vegetables include collard, mustard, turnip and beet greens; kale, bok choi, romaine lettuce; Zucchini and crook neck squash; okra; and six varieties of Tomatoes. COME SEE and SUPPORT the EFFORT of THESE KIDS! All profits will go to the non-profit organizations of PAL, KC’s Kamp for Kids, as well as a special event for the kids.
- Dec 23: 2nd Garden Harvest for the holidays
About the Program
Since October 2016, the kids have started their own EarthBox® Gardens. They harvested their own collard and mustard greens that were prepared by Mr. Eddy for their Thanksgiving meal that were served to 120 children and their families from PAL N and PAL Midtown.
EarthBox® Gardening is one of the most sensible systems in gardening, resulting in better yields than traditional box gardening, with fewer pests. It was invented by a 5th generation tomato farmer in Ellenton, FL. You can see pictures of the EarthBox® Research Center at 1023 Ellenton-Gillette Road in Ellenton, Florida here.
KC’s Kamp for Kids is offering an after school class in EarthBox® Gardening for the children (ages 5-13) at the Woodlawn Police Athletic League Facility, located at 1950 16th St. N in St. Petersburg. Kids will learn how to prepare and plant an EarthBox®, how to care for their plants, how to harvest and how to prepare the foods they grow to take home and share with their families.
2016 After School EarthBox®
- Date: 10 October 2016 through 08 November 2016 - Each class is two days, Monday and Tuesday, and repeat each week. No class on Oct 31 and Nov 1.
- Time: 3:30-5:30PM
- Who: Kids aged 5-13
- Location: Police Athletic League (PAL) Facility, 1450 16th St N, St. Petersburg, FL
- Cost: FREE, but must be registered for the PAL After School Program
2017 After School EarthBox®
- 2017 program will be February and March (dates to be announced)